El Cheapo Dinner–Fried Rice
Ah, the great money-saving, left-over using family favorite!
Fried Rice (as made by a woman who is not Chinese-American, but married one! )
Lots of rice (any left over rice you have and/or make 3 additional cups)– we use 1/2 white rice and 1/2 brown rice in our rice cooker
oil (a generous amount)
soy sauce (again a generous amount, we buy the huge containers at Costco)
onions, garlic, any other veggies diced
frozen grated carrots, spinach
frozen peas, corn
left over meat (optional)
1. Put oil in a large pan or wok and heat. Add onions, garlic, and other veggies until soft
2. Throw in rice, frozen items, and meat
3. Break eggs into the pan, immediately scramble into the other ingredients
4. Add soy sauce, salt, pepper, and more oil (should be slightly wet)
5. Cook until the rice begins to brown and “fry”, the soy sauce actually starts to make it taste “sweet” if you cook in long enough
This is one of my favourite “oh-crap-it’s-5:30-and-I-still-haven’t-even-thought-about-supper” suppers!!! I often toss in a handful of coleslaw mix (if I have it), a splash or two of lemon juice and a sprinkling of lemon-pepper seasoning. Mmmmmmmm, the girls and I could absolutely LIVE on this meal!!
My 3 year old could live off of rice if I let him.
I can’t believe I forgot about this meal! This has got to be the BEST el cheapo of them all…I learned to make it while in London for a summer mission trip. Tasty, somewhat healthy and cheap-doesn’t get any better!
This sounds good! Can’t wait to try ti!
Valleygirl, I’ve never tried it with lemon juice. Hmmm. Sounds interesting.
Comments are closed.