Oh yes. That is the birthday cake that I referred to on Saturday.
Too chocolately? Impossible. Delicious? Uh huh!
Although I’m a huge fan of “made from scratch”, I have never had much luck with cakes from scratch. But cakes from a mix with add-ins? Perfect.
Too Much Chocolate Cake (adapted from allrecipes)
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix (I used the sugar-free version on sale at Walgreens this week for 25 cents!)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, chopped into bits
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, milk, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 12 cup bundt pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees and 25 minutes at 300 degrees. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an half an hour before inverting onto a plate. Top with chocolate glaze.
Satiny Chocolate Glaze
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water, combine chocolate chips, butter and corn syrup. Stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth, then add vanilla.
2. Spread warm glaze over top of cake, letting it drizzle down the sides.
Doctored up cake mixes work for me!